Facts about the Grand Junction Area REALTORS® Association
The Grand Junction Area REALTORS® Association (GJARA) is the successor to the Grand Junction Area REALTORS® Association, originally chartered by the National Association of REALTORS® way back in 1930. GJARA is a not-for-profit trade association with a membership comprised of approximately 600 Realtor® members representing a wide range of real estate professionals in Grand Junction and surrounding communities. The Grand Junction Multiple Listing Service, started in 1974, contains over 1500 properties, both residential and commercial, offered in the greater Grand Junction region.
The Grand Junction Association of REALTORS® is part of the nationwide Realtor family network made up of the National Association of REALTORS® and the Colorado Association of REALTORS®. GJARA is governed by a Board of Directors who employs the 3-member Association staff. Staff is directly responsible for the day-to-day services provided to our membership in the form of MLS access, servicing of electronic keyboxes and keypads, educational offerings and various forms of informational updates and supportive services. Staff is also available daily to assist the general public with locating and contacting member agencies, processing public complaints, and answering general questions regarding the home-buying and selling processes.
Did You Know...?
- The Grand Junction Area REALTORS® Association was chartered by the National Association of REALTORS on May 30, 1930..
- The Board of Realtors was incorporated on August 1, 1951, the Multiple Listing Service incorporated in 1974.
- Have been located at 851 Grand Avenue since September, 1982. The building was purchased from Ken Henry, Ole Dunn, and Al Mayo. It has been remodeled three times since purchase. The building was paid in full in 1992.
- When "black Sunday" hit (the 1984 bust in the oil shale industry), the board went from 720 members to 230. Half of the membership moved to Phoenix and the other half to Colorado Springs. Through the years a lot have returned home.
- On March 17, 1994, the Board of Directors voted to change our name to the Mesa County Association of REALTORS® and on March 23, 1994, it was adopted by the National Association of REALTORS.
- On May 20, 2001, we moved to our new location at 2743 Crossroads Blvd. Our new building has 3800 square feet, and we have lots of parking and a nice big education facility.
- In May, 2002, the Board of Directors voted to change our name to the Grand Junction Area REALTOR® Association because the Mesa County confused people who thought we were Mesa, Arizona. We also received calls thinking we were the County Government.